L-S Parents Weigh in on Hybrid Learning Model

ViewSonic

On September 15, 2020, Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School opened its doors in a hybrid learning model. 

2020 and 2021 have surprised many of us, and have brought lots of challenges our way, a major one being school. Figuring out how to effectively present school to students, teachers, and parents has been very thought-provoking for Lincoln-Sudbury’s faculty. Everyone has different ideas of what is right in terms of going into school this year. The parents at L-S have their own opinions too, and have to make the decisions surrounding safety precautions for their children.

“I don’t love it. I feel like it’s safe, but it still poses a risk for not a lot of time in school,” said L-S hybrid parent Rena Kams. “I don’t know if it’s enough school to make it worth the risk. The safety protocols make it hard for the students to get any social benefit.” Some L-S teachers ask students to join a Google Meet when they aren’t in person, creating a way for students to get in more learning time when they aren’t in school.

“I don’t think that my kids aren’t getting the full learning experience that they would in a normal school year,” Kams continued. “When teachers don’t do synchronous learning for students on remote days, the students do not get enough instruction and learning. The teaching model from some teachers on the remote days isn’t sufficient.” 

Another parent from LS, Laura Erb, is happy with the hybrid model. “I appreciate the school finding a way to make any in-person time possible,” she said. Erb appreciates the amount of thought that the school has put into making the hybrid model workable. While many parents are worried that their children aren’t getting enough out of school this year, Erb isn’t worried. “I think the lack of COVID spreading in the schools is better than what I thought it would be. The kids are still missing out of some of the excitement of school though. It’s all the work, none of the fun.”

Erb emphasized that students are unable to be close to their friends this year and they can’t have the more fun parts of school such as free blocks and field trips. However, she still believes that students can get the necessary parts of school through the hybrid model. In addition, Erb is staying positive about the work students are doing this year. “The students are probably less engaged in their work this year than a normal year. However, I think they are still grasping the material well,” she said. Although she agrees that this year has changed in many ways, both academically and socially, Erb still believes that any amount of school is worth the risk currently. 

L-S parent Molly Berry weighed in, “I believe that the year is going well so far. It’s gone better than anticipated. I’m thankful we have the technology to provide a remote option. I think my kids are learning the material. They are just missing out on the social aspect of school but I think they still learn quite a bit of academic information. My children will be excited to take part in the social aspect of high school next year.” Most of the students aren’t learning the same way they would during a normal school year, but this year isn’t a normal year.

“I don’t think they are learning the same things as they would during a normal year but I think they are learning enough for now,” Berry added. “I’m optimistic that they will be able to return to school in the fall, which allows me to be more relaxed about what they are missing out on now.”